Every year, we hear stories from show registrants that they have received communications from companies claiming they are doing business on behalf of NGWA/Groundwater Week regarding hotel reservations and the like.
These are scams! NGWA does not, and never has, provided registrant/attendee information to anyone other than Groundwater Week exhibitors and sponsors.
Here are a few things you can do in order not to be scammed.
- First, try to find the company’s presence on the web by typing in the domain name from their email address into a browser and see what appears.
- Next, do a search on https://www.whois.com/. This will sometimes show you who owns the domain name.
- Lastly, look to see if they have any contact information (phone number or physical address listed in their email) or information regarding how to opt out of their emails. These are required for all commercial marketing messages by both the United States’ SPAM-ACT and Canada’s CAN-SPAM Act. All legitimate businesses list these in marketing messages.
If you do receive a scam, please let me know at email@example.com, so that I can update this page with the latest information.
Global Elite Travel Group (and any other travel group contacting you that say they represent NGWA or Groundwater Week)
This group sent out emails that stated they were accepting reservations for NGWA — National Ground Water Week.
There is no “official” independent group (like Global Elite Travel) representing NGWA or the Westgate with respect to Groundwater Week.
Those wishing to stay at the Westgate Las Vegas Resort & Casino (NGWA headquarters hotel) should book directly through Westgate either online or over the phone by calling (800) 635-7711, indicating you are attending NGWA's 2020 Groundwater Week.
Other miscellaneous scammers
The following individuals/companies have been reported to have contacted Groundwater Week attendees or exhibitors in the past. These companies and individuals are not affiliated with NGWA or Groundwater Week in any manner. (Note: This list is updated as additional companies are reported.)
- Demand Generation Executive
- Global Elite Travel Group
- Cathy Russell mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Belinda Smith mailto:email@example.com
- Eric Levicoff mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Julie Jack email@example.com
- Melissa Apaza firstname.lastname@example.org
- Claire Morris email@example.com
- Sara Cooper firstname.lastname@example.org
- James Allan email@example.com
- Debbie Burton firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kate Parker email@example.com
- Natalie Portman firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jennifer Steven email@example.com
- Jennifer Perez firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ryan Smith mailto:email@example.com