It seems that nearly every year, we hear stories from show registrants that they have received communications from companies claiming they are doing business on behalf of NGWA/Groundwater Week regarding hotel reservations and the like.
These are scams! NGWA does not, and never has, provided registrant/attendee information to anyone other than Groundwater Week exhibitors and sponsors.
Here are a few things you can do in order not to be scammed.
- First, try to find their presence on the web by typing in the domain name from their email address into a browser and see what appears.
- Next, I always do a search on https://www.whois.com/. This will sometimes show you who owns the domain name.
- Lastly, look to see if they have any contact information (phone number or physical address listed in their email) or information regarding how to opt out of their emails. These are required for all commercial marketing messages by both the United States’ SPAM-ACT and Canada’s CAN-SPAM Act. All legitimate businesses list these in marketing messages.
If you do receive a scam, please let me know at firstname.lastname@example.org, so that I can update this page with the latest information.
GTE, Global Travel Experts, Global Elite Travel, or any other group trying to sell you a room
These groups send emails or call stating that they are working with NGWA and accepting reservations for NGWA or Groundwater Week.
There is no “official” independent group (such as Global Elite Travel) representing NGWA or any hotel with respect to Groundwater Week.
Those wishing to stay at the NGWA headquarters hotel should book directly through the hotel and indicate you are attending NGWA’s Groundwater Week 2023 event.
Other miscellaneous scammers
The following individuals/companies have been reported in the past to contacting Groundwater Week attendees or exhibitors. These companies and individuals are not affiliated with NGWA or Groundwater Week in any manner. (Note: This list is updated as additional companies are reported.)
- Golbal Travel Experts
- Global Elite Travel Group
- Demand Generation Exeuctive
- Belinda Smith email@example.com
- Cathy Russell firstname.lastname@example.org
- Eric Levicoff email@example.com
- Julie Jack firstname.lastname@example.org
- Melissa Apaza email@example.com
- Claire Morris firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sara Cooper email@example.com
- James Allan firstname.lastname@example.org
- Debbie Burton email@example.com
- Kate Parker firstname.lastname@example.org
- Natalie Portman email@example.com
- Jennifer Steven firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jennifer Perez email@example.com
- Ryan Smith firstname.lastname@example.org
- Teresa Turner email@example.com
- Dayana Phillips firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lucy Higham email@example.com
- Cindy Baptiste firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cathy Brown email@example.com
- Jodi Smith firstname.lastname@example.org